Nearly there, but ran out of time today, mainly because while re-shimming the cams I found that the timing marks on the crank pulley were way out. TDC on these engines is top of compression stoke on cylinder 2, and that is where I had timed the cams to. However I had spent time last week timing the dizzy to the marks on the crank pulley at 14 deg btc. However when I refitted the cams I noticed that the TDC mark on the front pulley was no where to be seen. It was a bit of a bad moment as I assumed at first that I had timed the cams incorrectly, which would have meant radiator out and front timing cover off. However when I removed number 2 plug, the piston was where it should be at the top of the bore on compression stroke. So after checking the timing I remarked the front pulley.
However this meant the distributor was way out, the rotor arm should be pointing at the rear coil mounting bolt, not the inlet manifold, so that meant distributor removal and replacement which isn't very easy on these engines.
That done I finished the engine off - all complete and ready to go
Apart from the coolant. I have decided to try this american coolant to prolong engine life. Its strange stuff doesn't boil until 400 degrees, and totally prevents corrosion as there is no water in it. It doesn't suffer from local hotspot boiling either. This also means I can run the coolant system at 7psi instead of 20, which should reduce leaks from the water pump impeller seal and the manifolds. I hope so, as this coolant is a tad expensive at £45 for 4L and this engine needs 14L, but it should be worth the investment as it never needs replacement.
So tomorrow its fill with coolant, check for leaks, put some petrol in, let the fuel pump work, check for petrol leaks and then go for ignition.
My long jobs list is now down to this:-
9). Fit remainder of exterior brightwork (rear window surrounds)
Part done 11). Fit dash parcel shelves
13). Fit seat belts
16) Fit front and rear bumpers – part done
30). Insert petrol and see if it starts
31). Test gearbox and check kick down
33) Fit trim strip to rear window seal
39). Rust proof box sections with Dinotrol
41). Complete bonnet lead loading and paint somehow and fit
Part done - 43). Get old registration back – part done
44). Cure slow airleak in 2 tyres
45). Run and test!
Total hours now worked 958
Money spent now £20667