Monday 12 September 2016

Just when I thought it was all over

I had got the Sprint to the stage where I thought that all I was left with was those niggly little jobs:-

Check gearbox oil level
Check diff oil level
etc
etc

So on Sunday, I worked down the list, event to the point of curing the "squeaky" clutch pedal - needed a strip down and a grease of the shaft and spring, and as its buried under the dash, the parcel shelf has to come out.


That done, the final item was left - check brakes and pads, fronts were nice and easy, but shock and horror when I removed one of the rear drums


oil in the rear brakes - well at least drivers side - the lining wasn't fully contaminated, which is why there had been no noticeable pulling to one side under breaking.

I couldn't understand this, as the rear wheel bearings were replaced 2 years ago, with new seals as well, and there's no issue on the passenger side

However I had a sudden thought, and checked the axle breather - blocked solid with years of debris - soon cleared with a piece of welding rod


Its always the little things that get you - I should have checked it when I did the bearings - new shoes will arrive tomorrow, so it will be mobile again and I can get back to adding the miles

It has a slight oil weep from the rear crankshaft oil seal but I think I will leave this (and may live to regret this) rather than joint the gearbox removal club just before the RBRR



2 comments:

Where am I?